Whether you are a new fly angler or seasoned expert, I offer everyone the opportunity to experience some of western Colorado's best fly fishing opportunities. Located in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, I am in a central location to guide in the Roaring Fork watershed and the Colorado River, which includes the Roaring Fork, Crystal, portions of the Frying Pan and also on some exclusive private water. I have over one hundred miles of diverse rivers to choose from depending on conditions. I offer wade fishing trips, with a focus on fishing sections of prime water, allowing an intimate approach to the river. Nymph fishing constitutes the bulk of the fishing that we will do, but there are plenty of dry fly fishing opportunities in the area depending on season and conditions. I am geared to allow anglers interested in pursuing trout while using the European nymphing techniques such as Czech or French nymphing. All fishing is catch and release with barbless tactical hooks. I provide all flys that I tie personally, designed for the fishing that we will do.
Please contact Roaring Fork Anglers or Crystal Fly Shop to reserve a date for the 2018 season.
Now reserving dates for 2018.
To make our trip successful:
- Be aware that the weather can change in an instant. Pack a light rain jacket or fleece.
- Fish can see color. Do not wear bright colors. Instead, wear only earth toned clothing to blend in with the background environment.
- Fish can smell chemicals in the parts per billion range: Do not wear cologne or perfume of any kind.
- Do wear polarized sunglasses. I will point out underwater features to guide you in finding fish. I really need you to be able to see what I am pointing out. Polarized glasses kill the surface glare allowing you to see into the water. It will also help you to avoid a headache.
- Apply sunscreen.
- Bring and drink lots of water. Please leave your disposable plastic water bottles at home.
- Be flexible to changing conditions and subsequent change of plans.
- Bring a good attitude. As a guide, I will eliminate every variable except luck when it comes to catching fish. Your positive mental attitude is an amazing tool at catching fish. If you are in a bad mood or not motivated, you will not catch fish.
- If you have never fly fished before, it is highly advised you take a short 1/2 day introductory fly fishing course offered by Roaring Fork Anglers.
- Have fun.
If you are looking for lodging recommendations, I suggest the following options.
Though I had not been fly fishing for many years, I recently got the bug while visiting Carbondale, Colorado, not far from Aspen. In a streak of good fortune, a local outfitter set me up with John Newbury for a guided wading trip. We elected to avoid the crowds at the Frying Pan in favor of a lovely stretch of the nearby Crystal River where we did not see another fisherman all day. John was the perfect guide. The equipment was first class, he knew where the fish were, and he was a master teacher. With his background in fisheries biology, he proved to be a font of information on topics ranging from the natural history of trout to stream ecology. And, in addition to the stimulating conversation, I caught lots of trout and even broke off the fish of a lifetime. Spending a day with John made me a much better fisherman, and I’m already looking forward to a return trip with him next fall.
Weaverville, North Carolina
There are plenty of fly fishing guides in the Roaring Fork Valley that can put you on fish but there is only one with a degree in fisheries science and entomology. A day on the river with John Newbury is an education in the dynamics of river ecosystems, one that will make you a better angler. His extensive knowledge base guides his decision-making and takes into account weather, water flow and, of course, bug life.
I have been trout fishing for nearly 20 years but learned a lot of new tricks and techniques in just one afternoon on the water. Beyond his skills as a guide on the water, John is a gifted and innovative fly tier and his patterns, many of which are in commercial production, are extremely effective at catching fish.